I had something devastating happen this week. All of the TV shows I had recorded on my DVR (Sleepy Hollow, Agents of SHIELD, etc.) got DELETED when my TV broke before I could watch them! So I am super behind on shows and I’m desperately trying to catch up on them before I start recording things this new season. In case you’re interested in what a nerdy girl likes to watch, check out my list below!
Agents of SHIELD: First of all, why wouldn’t I watch this? It’s about my favorite fictional world- the world of Marvel heroes and villains! Second of all, the main character (or mainish) is Agent Phil Coulson. If I didn’t already love the actor, I still would have fallen for Coulson in his previous appearances in Marvel movies. He’s definitely the best part of the show. This was one of the shows that I lost on my DVR and have to get caught up on before I begin recording the new season. NO SPOILERS, GUYS.
- Coulson is one of the main characters.
- It is skillfully integrated into the timeline of the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies (such as Thor 2).
- I get all of the references.
- Skye. I HATE her. She’s the stupidest main character that I could possibly think of to put in this situation. She makes SHIELD look like a group of idiots, which is entirely opposite of the way they are in the comics. (And when they do get proven wrong, it’s by someone like Stark, not a teenage Facebook hacker.)
- Unfortunately, despite the dialogue being hilariously written, the new characters they try to introduce are a bit… well, wooden. If they aren’t completely one-dimensional, they only have dimension because they’re given over-used and over-acted back stories and motives.
Once Upon A Time: Honestly, this is probably my favorite show that’s on right now. Yeah, it can be a little cheesy at times, but what show isn’t? I love everything about this show from the acting to the fairy tales they introduce to the references that I get but my parents don’t (because I was the Disney child, not them). I love the story-telling and the characters they introduce. It’s just a great show! I AM caught up on this one, thank goodness, because the new season starts September 28th!
- It keeps you guessing. The plot is written in such a way and introduces characters in such a way that it takes me by surprise very often, which is a hard feat to accomplish. I don’t get surprised easily.
- Pick your favorite fairy tale, it’s bound to be in this show. I’ve been so excited to see my fairy tale favorites like Peter Pan and Captain Hook, Alice and the Mad Hatter, and Grumpy from Snow White. I’ve even picked up a few new favorite fairy tale characters that I never appreciated until I started watching the show, like Rumpelstiltskin, Prince Charming, and Red Riding Hood.
- Cheesy. Yeah, it’s kind of cheesy. Of course, when the main weapon against evil is the power of true love, why shouldn’t it be? It’s a fairy tale, people!
- I disagree with how some of the characters are portrayed. The sub-plot they had going with Mulan and Sleeping Beauty nearly made me stop watching the show at one point.
Just because Mulan is a warrior doesn’t mean she’s a Lesbian.Come on, guys.
Sleepy Hollow: I’ve always found the story of the Headless Horseman to be super interesting, but this show gives it a spin that I have never seen done before. It combines the story with Biblical philosophy on Revelation, turning the Headless Horseman into one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. I love the way they integrate it all together! Unfortunately, this is one of the shows I am super behind on thanks to my TV breaking. NO SPOILERS, GUYS.
- I’m gonna come right out and say it: Ichabod is hot. And Nicole isn’t bad looking either.
- Ichabod’s dialogue is so hilarious that I’ve laughed so hard I was crying. The way he doesn’t understand references or makes comments on future technology is side-splitting.
- The integration with Biblical prophecy is astounding. It’s written incredibly well.
- This is not a show for your kids to watch. It deals with some pretty heavy stuff like witch craft and dark magic, and the demons are hella scary.
- I start to get bored about halfway through each episode. It has fantastic beginnings and fantastic endings, but right in the middle it seems to have slow spots.
Doctor Who: You had to know this would be on the list! Who doesn’t love the Doctor??? Unfortunately I am super behind on this show too. NO SPOILERS, GUYS.
- Uh. It’s Doctor Who. Duh.
- What are you even talking about. It’s Doctor Who. There are no cons. Go talk to Star Trek if you want to find a Con. (See what I did there?)
The Strain: I do not know why I watch this show. It mentally scars me with every episode. But for some reason I cannot stop watching it. It’s like this weird addiction. I may need psychiatric help. This is also one of the shows I am soooo behind on. NO SPOILERS, GUYS.
- It’s mysterious. The pilot episode was one of the better pilot episodes for any TV show that I’ve ever seen. It ends every episode with a new question that leaves you wanting to come back to get it answered.
- The props and special effects makeup are AMAZEBALLS. For the plot being so “out there”, the costumes and props are not some shoddy puppet replicas that take you out of the show. You actually believe these creatures exist. Sometimes I can’t even look at the TV screen!
- Ohhhh it’s so cringe-worthy. If you’ve got a weak stomach, DO NOT WATCH THIS SHOW. I have a pretty strong stomach when it comes to scifi and horror, but sometimes the gore on this show can make me hide my head or fast-forward over it before my stomach starts to lurch.
- The audience-sympathetics are so OBVIOUS. Every show needs an audience sympathetic, otherwise the audience would have no idea what was going on at any time, but The Strain makes it so painfully obvious it’s not funny. The main characters are high-up CDC officials. They don’t have to explain, in an aside no less, every term they say to each other, so the fact that they do takes me out of the show.
Adventure Time: Adventure Time is kind of like my guilty pleasure. Like… I know I’m 23 years old now and I should not be watching cartoons any longer, especially cartoons with this bad of animation (or so I thought when I began watching it so long ago), but all of that doesn’t matter because I love it. I think the story line is pretty smart for a cartoon and the characters are lovable. Unfortunately, I am also behind on Adventure Time. V.V NO SPOILERS, GUYS.
- It actually has a story line. At least, it does NOW. When Adventure Time started, it was just a stupid, mindless cartoon like the rest of them. But then suddenly it began telling a story, which is why I got interested in it. It wasn’t just a bunch of mindless cartoon violence and terrible puns like Johnny Test or the terrible monster The Fairly Odd Parents has crumbled into.
- The characters are THREE-DIMENSIONAL. Odd for a cartoon, the characters each have their own unique personalities, secrets, strengths, and weaknesses. And they’re dynamic characters. They learn and change. Such a nice change of pace from The Amazing World of Gumball or Chowder.
What the heck is up with terrible cartoons lately?
- It’s mildly disturbing. The way the show is written, it gives you a very post-apocalyptic feel. Sometimes the episodes leave you feeling like YOUR world is about to end. Also, some of the episodes are a pure acid trip, man. A few times I have sat on the couch, staring at the blank TV, going, “WTF did I just watch?”
- THE EPISODES HAVE THE MOST RANDOM ENDINGS. This is probably the thing that bugs me the most. The endings are so abrupt! It makes me feel like I didn’t record the whole thing and that there’s more that I need to see. It just sort of interrupts what you think is going to be a fantastic story arc with a big ol’ “NOPE COME BACK NEXT WEEK” feel.
So now that I’ve given you a very short list of the things that I watch, here’s a list of things I need to watch/am looking forward to! Please note that there are TV shows listed here which have already aired/been cancelled and I just haven’t watched them yet.
- The Flash
- Agent Carter
- American Horror Story: Freakshow
- All the American Horror Story seasons
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Death Note
- Fairy Tail
- Hemlock Grove
- The 4400
- Kaze No Stigma
- The Guild
- Black Butler
- Walking with Monsters: Life Before Dinos
- Lie To Me
- Transformers Prime
Well, there’s my list. Sorry it took so long to get it to you- I was working on it all day yesterday! lol
What shows have you not seen that you’re looking forward to watching? Are there any I don’t have on my list that are must-sees?? Comment below! I wanna know!